If you’re middle aged you may have dental problems for a variety of reasons. You may not have had access nor the opportunity to undergo routine dental treatments throughout your earlier years. You might have become lax with dental visits due to a hectic schedule. You may have had perfect teeth until a recent stressful period in your life.
No matter what the reason, you might now find yourself in a position just like many others – having lost multiple teeth or living with failing dentition. The thought of having to wear plastic dentures could be mortifying, as its always been associated in society as something meant for the elderly.
In today’s world, with the availability of Dental Implants, you no longer need to face the dilemma of having to use dentures in your golden years. Here are 7 reasons why you could benefit from Dental Implants more than your younger counterparts:
- Improved Function: The high strength and durability of dental implants overshadows that of regular plastic dentures. You would be able to savour all your favourite treats, from the hardest of foods to the most chewable, without having to worry that the implants may rock, break or come off (as you would have been advised by your dentist to avoid biting hard foods with dentures!)
- Improved Comfort: Unlike dentures, dental implants sit within the bony architecture of your upper and lower jaws. Their prosthetic counterparts such as crowns, bridges or even dentures can be attached onto the implants, covering minimal areas within the mouth. Due to this, you need not worry about having extensive plastic pieces in your jaws that impose a great deal of discomfort to you during wear.
- Improved Speech: Dental implants do not cover an extensive area of the palate and hence aid in preserving your articulation and speech far better than dentures do.
- Bone Preservation: Implants function similar to a natural tooth, hence they do not exert much pressure onto the tissues and bone in your mouth. This allows dental implants to naturally preserve the amount of remaining bone and the gums that cover it.
- You don’t need ‘denture-glue’: Dentures, being a block of plastic, stick to your jaws dependant on the suction formed between the plastic and tissues/gums in your mouth, often with the aid of a sticky denture adhesive. This can be quite uncomfortable as you need to get used to having a glue-like substance in your mouth all day, every day.
- You don’t have to worry about them coming off: Dentures tend to become loose over the years. Unless you get them fixed from time to time at your dentist, you may be faced with uneventful circumstances such as having your dentures fall out while you are chewing or worse – while speaking!
- Excellent Aesthetics: If you only have a couple of missing front teeth, having dentures to match the rest of your teeth isn’t always possible. With an implant-retained prosthesis such as full ceramic crowns/bridges and their zirconium alternatives, shade matching is now better than ever. You can almost always match your natural tooth colour. Also, you don’t have to worry about having all that pink denture plastic showing out every time you smile!
- You’ve got the funds for it! – If you’ve worked hard and saved up for a lifetime, consider implants an investment for improved quality of life. You’ll be able to appear in public with an amazing smile and enjoy all of your favourite foods without any qualms.